Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:51 am by leofuner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Enter...stage left

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Enter...stage left on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:17 pm

gypsy4ever

Ballet Rat
Ballet Rat
Hi there. Ya'll can call me Gypsy. Long story about that name.
Anyways, this is not the first Phantom board I've been too. The others...well, I don't know. They seem to attract what I like to call 'fair weather phans', those who catch on to a trend and follow it for a while until something else takes their fancy. To truly be considered a phan by me, a person has to have loved this story for a good long time.

Me? Well, its going on 19 years now.

Oh dear, I've told this story so many times. Please tell me if this sound familier to you.
I was just a child the first time I heard the words 'The Phantom of the Opera'. The tv trend of that time...oh, so long ago, was variety shows. On one of those shows, I can't really recall which one, a skit was done about a woman who meets a masked man. He teaches her to sing. I was enthralled by it. When I asked my mom what it was about, she said, "Oh, that's supposed to be The Phantom of the Opera'.
I did not know what that was. The skit ended. But, somehow, it get filed in my mind under 'save for future use'. I never really forgot about it.
Flash forward to 1988.
I had loved the winter olympics that year, mainly because my new heart throb had won a gold medal. Brian Boitano was, is, and will always be a god to me. After his success, he had tv special, (which BTW, I STILL have on tape), During this special, he did a routine to a song that haunted me for months. It was beautiful, and seemed to fit him to a T. I did not know what the name of it was, or who sang it. The only time I could hear it was when I watched the tape...again, and again, and again.
Then, it was 1989. My senior year. Every year, our choir directer would choose music for one big production number. That year he chose broadways biggest new musical. Before we started to learn the music, he played the cast album for us. I was drawn in almost from the start.
It was one of those moments, you know, the ones that when they happen you just know that your life will never be the same again. Then, I heard that song again. There is was, the song Brian had skated to that enchanted me so much. It was called 'Music of the Night'.
I cornered the director after that, demanding he tell me what this show was all about. He told me about a girl who is taught to sing by a masked man.
My earlier childhood memory came rushing back to me.
I found that as we learned the music that I could not get it out of my mind. I hummed it morning, noon, and night. I could not wait to get to choir class, cause I knew I would be singing it. It became my whole world.
Leaving it behind was hard.
That summer after graduation, I still could not stop thinking about that music. It filled my mind, kept drawing me toward it. I located a copy of the original novel in a bookstore, and the same day bought a copy of the cast album. I haven't looked back.
I saw the show for the first time a month after my 21st birthday in Toronto. I have now seen it a total of 13 times.
I became a collector of Phantom memrobilla. It started small, and then just grew out of control. I have no intention to stop, though.
The collection is quite extensive.
Musicboxes, dolls, books, cds, tapes, dvds, magazines, artwork, posters, ornaments, ....god, its huge!
If anyone expresses enough interst, I'll compile a list. It will take a while.

I've had people ask me before what exactly it is about Phantom that I love so much. I don't really know how to answer that. It's not really one thing. It's everything. It's not one particular character, its all of them together. It's the fact that when Phantom came into my life it felt like a missing puzzel piece had finally been found. A part of myself that I didn't know I was missing before had come back to me. I would never be complete without it.
I love Phantom. Not just the books, or the movies, or the musical. I love the whole thing. Phantom is my heart and soul. It is without a doubt, the love of my life.

So, there you have it. I hope I will fit in here. This board does not seem to be as active as some of the others I've been too, and I like it that way. I don't share my love of Phantom much with others, because I like to keep it to myself. It's mine, mine, mine. I'm kind of possesive about it.

I have many other interests. As a child, I loved The Wizard of Oz almost as much as I love Phantom. I still do...its just that my Oz collecting has taken second place now. I'm very picky about what sort of Oz stuff I buy now. With Phantom its everything and anything.
I'm a readaholic. Borders is my favorite place on earth. I like action/adventure stories with a dash of historical mystery ala The DaVinci Code. I also read romances and some of the classics.
My favorite book of all time is 'Beauty' by Robin McKinley. I think I've read it at least once a year since my sophmore year in high school.
My favorite TV show is 'Supernatural'. Rest assured if I'm not here you can find me at a Supernatural board. I like 'Heros' too. Can't wait till the new seasons start.
I'm not married. Have no kids. Have no plans on changing the status of either one. I'm happy like I am. I don't need a husband and 2.2 kids like every other person on the face of the earth. I'm an individual, not one of the masses.
Well, I guess that's it, at least for now.
Hope to get to know all of you better.

Gyspy.....

View user profile

2 Re: Enter...stage left on Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:09 am

EarlCarpenterFan

Lead Singer
Lead Singer
Hi, welcome to the boards!

19 years, thats impressive! I hope I'm still in a phan in 19 years.

Where did you see it for your 13 times? Have you ever seen it in London?

3 Re: Enter...stage left on Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:37 pm

gypsy4ever

Ballet Rat
Ballet Rat
EarlCarpenterFan wrote:Hi, welcome to the boards!

19 years, thats impressive! I hope I'm still in a phan in 19 years.

Where did you see it for your 13 times? Have you ever seen it in London?

Nope, never been to London, mores the pity. Going there is one of my greatest wishes, and not just to see Phantom there.
I saw the show once in Toronto, eight times in Cleveland (my nearest home city), once in Buffalo, NY, once in Louisville, KY, once in Cincinnati, and once in Columbus.
I will have the pleasure of seeing one of the first pilot productions done in the US this November. Baldwin-Wallace, a collage in Berea, OH was one of the 6 theater groups chosen to do their own productions. I can't wait. It's a smaller theater, not professional, so I know I won't be getting the Broadway or London show, but I'm not a Phantom purist. I like to see different interpretations.

View user profile

4 Re: Enter...stage left on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:41 pm

RedDeath

Main Phantom
Main Phantom
Welcome to the boards! That's quite an impressive phan resume you have there! Very intimidating.
I love Robin McKinley, too. I did a book report on a book by her I think called The Blue Sword...I think. It was a great read.
As for the activity of this board... You're right. I'm on 16, and only made this board for friends, which have all lost interest since. Every now and again we get a group of members that post like crazy and then disperse, but, we have a group of faithful members (EarlCarpenterFan, LittleWanderingChild, and RoseSoda [who has stayed with me and this forum since it was first made!]) that post and visit often. I'm obsessed with web design and layout, so, I am not on too often myself, I am sorry to say. Right now I am busy with my amateur theatre production of the Rocky Horror Show.
I originally made a php Phantom's Mask forum in 2005, and RoseSode joined it. We then moved to a phpBB forum, and she followed, and, finally, in 2006, we transfered here, where it has been most productive. This isn't a professional www.com site, so, we get fewer members. People usually see us in Google or Yahoo searches or on Wikipedia. I like that though, because fewer members makes a closer, friendlier atmosphere, as opposed to say Phantoms-Opera, where they never even get to know your name.
I hope you like it here. Any questions, let me know.
--RedDeath

Keeper of The Monkey Girl in 'Masquerade' [in ALW's musical], animated POTO chandelier, & JOJ's laugh
4/6/06:: The Day... The Music... Died. Crying or Very sad
View user profile http://xnecronomiconx.weebly.com

5 Re: Enter...stage left on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:18 am

EarlCarpenterFan

Lead Singer
Lead Singer
I like that though, because fewer members makes a closer, friendlier atmosphere, as opposed to say Phantoms-Opera, where they never even get to know your name.

I like that too. Its so small and friendly here!

6 Re: Enter...stage left on Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:49 pm

RedDeath

Main Phantom
Main Phantom
EarlCarpenterFan wrote:
I like that though, because fewer members makes a closer, friendlier atmosphere, as opposed to say Phantoms-Opera, where they never even get to know your name.

I like that too. Its so small and friendly here!

Thank you. I try to keep it that way. It's more personal than a huge forum where a member gets forgotten so easily...

Keeper of The Monkey Girl in 'Masquerade' [in ALW's musical], animated POTO chandelier, & JOJ's laugh
4/6/06:: The Day... The Music... Died. Crying or Very sad
View user profile http://xnecronomiconx.weebly.com

7 Re: Enter...stage left on Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:06 am

Welcome! I'm a fan of the Phantom Of the Opera since I was 10, only for 3 years...You Are My Idol

View user profile http://thephantomintheopera.piczo.com/?cr=7&rfm=y

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum